Senior Design Engineer (ESC), Civil - Clovis
Company: PG&E Corporation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Requisition ID # 48703
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of
safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric
Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric
distribution and transmission operations, including planning,
engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management,
business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The Engineering and Design team of Transmission Operations
Substation Engineering is responsible for civil, electrical and
protection engineering work for all of PG&E's substations.
Civil design includes substation design of foundations, structures,
grading, equipment seismic qualification, Spill Prevention Control
& Countermeasure (SPCC) plans and modifications, and seismic
retrofit of buildings and equipment support structures.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientist of
California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
As a Civil/Structural Senior Design Engineer in the Substation
Civil Engineering department, you will develop civil, structural
and environmental designs for our large network of high voltage
substations. You will prepare construction drawings and supporting
calculations, participate in field reviews at substation facilities
and discuss project objectives with other stakeholders in
engineering, construction, operations and maintenance. You will use
a variety of design tools, including Bentley Substation 3D for
drawing development, and SAP2000, ENERCALC, PLS-CADD and L-PILE for
structural analysis and design. Design and analysis will be
conducted for steel, concrete and masonry.
This is a position where you will work alongside licensed
professional engineers and acquire broad experience for career
- Actively promote safe practices and conduct in accordance with
the Corporate Safety policy.
- Under limited supervision, perform work required of a Design
Engineer and, in addition, perform advanced work requiring
specialized knowledge and experience.
- Direct the work of other employees performing design work for a
job, project, or portions thereof.
- Provide mentorship to new design engineers in Bentley
Substation as well as substation design concepts.
- Checks for general and overall coordination of the various
branches of the work involved.
- Design and retrofit steel structures, reinforced concrete
foundations, anchorage, retaining walls, control buildings and
equipment supports per PG&E Design Criteria.
- Design access roads, drainage and soil retention systems, and
grading and layout of new substations.
- Design spill containment systems for large oil-filled
electrical equipment for environmental compliance.
- Prepare construction drawings using Bentley Substation 3D
- Provide Construction Administration assistance to the
Responsible Engineer, including review of shop drawings, RFIs and
- Review drawings and calculations prepared by others.
- Foster teamwork and innovation and embrace new approaches to
accomplish our work more efficiently and effectively.
- Travel 10% of the time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or its
equivalent in education and experience to include education and
design drafting experience totaling six years, or education and
experience totaling four years including two years at PG&E as a
Design Drafter or Senior Design Drafter
- Experience in design work or the equivalent in experience and
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's
License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- M.S. degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- EIT or PE License
- 3 years of experience in substation civil engineering is
- Working knowledge of material and equipment including commonly
used national specifications and standards, building, or other
appropriate codes and fundamental engineering principles and
- Knowledge of building codes including ASCE 7, CBC, ACI 318 and
- Experience with SAP2000 or similar structural analysis
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Outlook, Word,
PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to work in a team environment and support fellow team
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills
Keywords: PG&E Corporation, Clovis , Senior Design Engineer (ESC), Civil - Clovis, Other , Clovis, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!